Staying Healthy in College

Spring Break Death

College student visiting Colo. for spring break falls from balcony and dies after eating marijuana cookies 

Levy Thamba

The New York Daily News is reporting that a teenager is the first known weed death recorded in Colorado. Students should realize to much of anything, even on vacation can cause serious consequences.

“Levy Thamba, a 19-year-old exchange student, fell four-stories after eating the legally purchased cookies in what’s believed to be the first publicized fatality linked to pot since its legalized sale in January

A college student visiting Colorado for spring break fell to his death after eating marijuana cookies in what’s believed to be the first publicized fatality linked to pot since its legalized sale in January.

Levy Thamba, a 19-year-old exchange student at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., had just eaten the pot-laced treats with friends last month when he became “very agitated and upset” and ran off a fourth floor hotel balcony, according to the Denver Coroner’s Office.

Three of Thamba’s friends, who said it was the first time any of them had consumed marijuana, said one of them had purchased the cookies from a legal supplier. At least one of them is 21.

“The kids took this cookie, one of them took a bite and then got kind of sick,” Chief Deputy Coroner Michelle Weiss-Samaras told the Daily News. “The other two obviously didn’t have a problem and then this one became very agitated and upset and didn’t do well.”

“He got up and just started running and hits the railing,” Weiss-Samaras described the autopsy report’s findings. “I’m not really sure that he knew what was going on … the kids were pretty traumatized.”

The teen’s autopsy found him having 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood. The state law in impaired driving cases sets a standard of 5 nanograms per milliliter, the Denver Post reported.

Toxicology tests for other drugs or alcohol also came back negative and Thamba didn’t have any known physical or mental-health issues, according to Weiss-Samaras.

The official cause of death for Thamba, who’s originally from the Republic of Congo, includes “marijuana intoxication.”

“It’s very sad. Obviously nobody knows how your body’s going to act,” Weiss-Samaras said of someone trying marijuana for the first time.

With the Denver Coroner’s Office overseeing 64 counties, Weiss-Samaras couldn’t definitely say that Thamba’s death was the first related to marijuana consumption since January.

To her knowledge Thamba’s death is believed to be the first.”

Read the full article here.

 

Advertisements

Join the disscussion

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on April 3, 2014 by in College, Healthy Lifestyle and tagged , , , .
%d bloggers like this: